For Wi-Fi Networks that are not password-protected, they are always vulnerable to data breaches and unknown people using the internet without the consent of the owner.
Therefore, it is always recommended that you protect your Wireless Network using a password so, it can be joined only by the people with whom you share your password. There are several types of security encryption levels available such as WEP, WPA-2, etc. You can set an encryption level of your choice on your Wireless Network and secure it.
To secure your Wireless Network through WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) encryption, follow these steps:
- Connect your Computer to the NETGEAR router using an Ethernet Cable.
- Open a web browser and head over to http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1. (Default Gateway Address may vary)
- You will be prompted to enter the login username and password to continue. Enter the login username and password to log in.
- Go to Wireless Settings from the left navigation bar.
- Scroll down to the Security Options and select WPA-PSK.
- Under the Security Encryption (WPA-PSK) > Passphrase, enter the password. (It may be a string of 64 hexadecimal digits or word/phrase of 8-63 ASCII characters.)
- Click on Apply to save the changes.